Skip to main content

Lao Tzu's quote

Saw a post by Salad Boy on Fb today. He's reading the book 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie. He shared a quote originally from Lao Tzu in the book.

English translation in 'How to Win Friends and Influence People':
"The reason why rivers and seas receive the homage of a hundred mountain streams is that they keep below them. Thus they are able to reign over all the mountain streams. So the sage wishing to be above men, putteth himself below them;wishing to be before them, he putteth himself behind them. Thus, though his place be above men, they do not feel his weight; though his place be before them, they do not count it an injury"

The supposed original Chinese quote from 'Tao Te Ching' that Salad Boy gave me was:
http://blog.xuite.net/chun.hung693/twblog/155961170-%E8%80%81%E5%AD%90%E9%81%93%E5%BE%B7%E7%B6%93%E7%99%BD%E8%A9%B1%E8%A7%A3+(%E7%AC%AC%E5%85%AD%E5%8D%81%E4%B8%80%E7%AB%A0+%E5%A4%A7%E5%9C%8B%E8%80%85%E4%B8%8B%E6%B5%81)
老子道德經白話解 (第六十一章 大國者下流《請先默誦原文》
大國者下流。天下之交,天下之牝。
牝常以靜勝牡,以靜爲下。
故大國以下小國,則取小國;小國以下大國,則取大國。
故或下以取,或下而取。
大國不過欲兼畜人,小國不過欲入事人。
夫兩者各得其所欲,大者宜爲下。
Explanation:
《白話解》
大國者下流。天下之交,天下之牝。
「執大象,天下往」的大國要像位處低下的大海一般才能匯聚百川,它是天下的會歸、天下的母親。
牝常以靜勝牡,以靜爲下。
雌性常藉由靜而勝過雄性,因為「靜為躁君」而又處下才能有容乃大。
故大國以下小國,則取小國;小國以下大國,則取大國。
所以,大國能放下身段去照顧小國,小國就願意依附。小國能識時務去服侍大國,大國就會保護他。
故或下以取,或下而取。
同樣用謙下的態度,而取得對方的依附和保護。
大國不過欲兼畜人,小國不過欲入事人。
大國不過是想教化小國;小國不過是想藉大國謀生。
夫兩者各得其所欲,大者宜爲下。
想做到大國小國各取所需,還是要大國先主動放下身段才得以完成。

But I found this webpage, so I think this is the correct quote.
http://www.yellowbridge.com/onlinelit/daodejing66.php

巳 Putting One's Self Last

Putting Oneself Behind / To Subordinate Self


江海之所以能為百谷王者,以其善下之,故能為百谷王。

是以聖人欲上民 ,必以言下之﹔欲先民,必以身后之。
是以聖人處上而民不重,處前而民不害。
是以天下樂推而不厭。以其不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whoever reads this, don't judge. Because I'm just writing this while being emo. But nobody visits my blog anyway. That's why there's no need to privatise this blog.

I discovered 2 tubs of Häagen-Dazs in the freezer today. I couldn't believe how such an expensive brand of ice cream appeared in my house. I was shocked. I felt so touched, and I actually couldn't bear to even start eating it, which never happens for regular ice cream like Walls.


And just now, Mum just came home, and I asked her when she bought it. She went, "Oh, right. I bought that for daddy because he's too skinny." I felt damn disappointed, you can't even imagine how someone would feel over merely ice cream. I asked her why she didn't buy Häagen-Dazs for me. Then she said something like: Buy for you? It's Mothers' Day, and you didn't even buy for me. I felt damn wronged I started crying. I know I cry over little things. SO WHAT. I usually just eat cheap ice cream, and I could even feel touched over seeing Häagen-Dazs in my house. I was never willing to splurge over my favourite dessert, and I always just buy cheap alternatives. I had to go…

Help

WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAPPEN?! WHY CAN'T I CONTROL MYSELF BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE? I'm so sorry mummy. You're always so hardworking to raise me, but I never studied hard. Now my lab report is going to be late. Why do I always regret only when it's too late, but I repeat it again and again every time even though I know the consequences? I really hope this is the last time. Do not repeat your mistakes please Huai Tian. I feel so exhausted at my own behaviour and how I always give in to watching shows until I'm right before the deadline. Why am I like that? I even went to visit the counsellor. Why can't I change? I feel so bad for my mum... that she only has one daughter but I turned out like this. Please. I want to pull back my grades back up. PLEASE

A post I posted in SSS1207 Natural Heritage of Singapore IVLE Forum

Donald Trump is seeking quick ways of withdrawing from a global agreement to limit climate change, a source on his transition team said, defying widening international backing for the plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions.
Trump, who has called global warming a hoax and has promised to quit the Paris Agreement, was considering ways to bypass a theoretical four-year procedure for leaving the accord, according to the source, who works on Trump’s transition team for international energy and climate policy.
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/donald-trump-looking-at-fast-ways-to-quit-global-climate-deal-source





So what's the Paris agreement?
The Paris Agreement’s central aim is to strengthen the global response to the threat of climate change by keeping a global temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius. Additionally, the agreement aim…